Sun, 06 Aug|
Our Anglo-Saxon Weekend is back for another year! Join us to explore the daily life of the Anglo-Saxons.
Time & Location
06 Aug 2023, 11:00 – 16:00
Southend-on-Sea, Priory Lodge, Victoria Ave, Southend-on-Sea SS2 6NB, UK
About the Event
Our Anglo-Saxon Weekend is back for another year! We've taken all of your feedback from last year on board to bring you an even bigger and better weekend this year.
Join us to explore the daily life of the Anglo-Saxons through a living history camp. Take part in Anglo-Saxon themed crafts and activities, and get hands on with archaeological excavation! All children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Living History Camp delivered by experienced re-enactors.
- The chance to listen to some Anglo-Saxon stories told by the incredible Dave Tong.
- To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the discovery of the Prittlewell Prince you'll be able to explore more about this fantastic discovery which was hailed as Britain's alternative to Tutankhamun!
- Anglo-Saxon pottery demonstrations.
- Other activities included: a sandpit mini-dig, archaeology themed puzzles, a treasure hunt, and an Anglo-Saxon themed craft activity.
- There is also a Makers Market happening in the refectory of Prittlewell Priory over the weekend which is open to ticket holders and members of the public. Each day will showcase 12 different makers/artisans from across Essex.
A full schedule of events will be sent out a week in advance via the email you supply when you purchase tickets.
Please note: parking is severely limited at Priory Park. Therefore we recommend using public transport where possible. There are car parks in Southend-on-Sea which are a short walk or bus ride away.
Tickets are available via eventbrite from 16th June at 10am: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/southend-museums-36154209223